Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get an advisor?

Current Missouri State students must see Angela Plank to be assigned to their permanent academic advisors in the Biology Department. She can be reached at 417-836-6851 or by e-mail at  
Transfer students refer to the section on this web page entitled “What else do transfer students need to know”.

Are advising worksheets available?

Yes! These worksheets summarize the required biology and supplemental courses needed to complete your degree. This information may also be found in the Missouri State Undergraduate Catalog. You should always consult with your advisor when choosing biology electives so that your degree can be tailored to meet your specific career goals.

If you find any discrepancies in these documents, please contact Angela Plank at or at 417-836-6851.

Non-comprehensive degrees (minor required)

Comprehensive degrees (no minor required)

Are 4-year plans available?

Yes! See the links below for suggested plans of study that will result in graduation in 4 years.  However, these plans are only suggestions, and there are other potential combinations of courses and semester plans for each degree program.  Please contact your advisor if you have questions.

4-year and 3-year plans for non-comprehensive degrees (minor required)

4-year plans for comprehensive degrees (no minor required)

Can I predict when classes are going to be offered?

Yes, you can search the periodicity of classes (when they are projected to be offered). See projected course offerings and use the prefix BIO.

Is a minor required?  How do I choose a minor?

A minor is required for all non-comprehensive degrees and will have to be in the same form as the degree of your major (i.e.:  if you get a BS in your major, your minor will also need to be a BS).   Ideally a minor should compliment your major and advance your career goals.  Your permanent advisor in the department will discuss the best options for you and assist you with the process of determining your minor. Students with a double major will not need a minor to satisfy graduation requirements.

How do I participate in an internships and co-op experience?

Internships and cooperative work experiences can provide a unique opportunity to expand classroom knowledge. Simply stated, a co-op is another method for learning. As a co-op student, you use what you’ve learned in the classroom and apply it in a work environment. You discover what careers are available for someone with your major and what types of jobs you like and don’t like. In some cases, you are able to get your foot in the door with a company you would like to work for after you graduate.

The co-op office on campus can assist students with constructing an internship and will be able to answer general questions about these out-of-class experiences.

Missouri State University Career Center (Hours: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm)

Carrington 309

Glass 103

901 S. National

Springfield, Missouri 65897

Phone: 417-836-5636

Fax: 417-836-6797

BIO 399 can be taken for 1-3 hours of credit. Dr. Lynn Robbins (Biology professor) oversees all Biology internships/co-ops.  He may be contacted at or at 417-836-5366 for additional information.

Can undergraduates participate in faculty research?

Yes!  See this link:  Undergraduate research

What else do transfer students need to know?

Transfer students are among the fastest growing populations on the Missouri State campus!  By visiting the Missouri State website, you will find a checklist of things that you should be doing to prepare for your transfer. This list is may be found under “Information for admitted transfer students” at

The above web page will likely answer many of your questions, but often transferring students will call to verify information. You should contact Angela Plank at 417-836-6851 for more information or to set up an appointment. Appointments are best made via phone as e-mail often results in too much lag time between responses. Also, certain questions (such as whether or not placement tests are needed) may have to be addressed.

Ideally, you should begin your transfer process a semester before you would like to matriculate to the Missouri State campus.  It is very important to note that you can have your transfer credit sent even though you are currently taking classes!  You will, of course, have to send the credit again once the semester has completed. Transfer students are allowed to register at the same time as Missouri State students…so if you would like the best selection of classes and available times, you will want to make an appointment in early November (for spring registration) or in early April (for fall registration). It is best to call for an appointment a week in advance of the date you would like. Transfer appointments require extensive preparation, so walk-ins are not generally the ideal approach.