- The student must have a minimum of 24 undergraduate hours (or equivalent) in biology. In the case of a student whose preparation for formal graduate study is judged to be inadequate (including cognate areas such as chemistry, physics, or mathematics), a program of prerequisite course work may be outlined for the purpose of properly supplementing his/her preparation. Such courses will not be credited as course requirements for the degree.
- Candidates for admission to programs in biology are required to have a GPA of at least 2.75 (on a 4.00 scale) for the last 60 semester hours of undergraduate work and a 3.00 average in biology. A GPA of at least 3.00 is required to be considered for a graduate assistantship.
- Scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), General Test must be submitted.
- A statement of interest and three letters of reference are required for admission to the degree program.
Admission requirements for the Accelerated Master's option
- Junior standing, a GPA in biology of 3.25 or better and an overall GPA of 3.25 or better.
- Completion of BIO 121, BIO 122, BIO 235, BIO 369, BIO 310 or BIO 320 or BIO 361; CHM 201 and CHM 202 or CHM 342; MTH 138 or MTH 135 and MTH 181 with an overall GPA of 3.25 or better.
- Undergraduate laboratory or field research experience in residence in the Department of Biology with a supportive recommendation from the student’s undergraduate research advisor. [Note: undergraduate research experience at another university conducted in collaboration with Missouri State University Biology faculty may be considered.]
- GRE scores commensurate with the advanced standing of this option.
- Acceptance of applicant by a graduate faculty member who agrees to serve as the student’s graduate research advisor.
- Acceptance of the applicant by the graduate faculty in Biology under the accelerated masters option.